Ruth Andrade works for LUSH, a well known cosmetics company with a strong focus on conscious capitalism and its role in society at large. In this podcast, Ruth shares with us where her passion for more self-organised ways of working originates from, what she encounters in working in the corporate environment and where she sees she can contribute the most. She is a prime example of someone who can initiate grassroots changes, by taking small steps and inspiring the people around. If you ever had doubts whether or not you are in a position to make change possible, listen to Ruth!
Originally from Brazil, Ruth grew up in a concrete jungle, amidst high-rise buildings, asphalt and pollution, witnessing first hand the destruction of the natural environment which prompted an early interest in the environmental issues and fueled a great passion for driving change. Ruth started working for Lush in 2004 and after a stint in the Covent Garden shop, she became the head of environment at Lush, inspiring many environmental initiatives during that time. After a long hiatus, Ruth is now back to mainly work on three aims: lead brand strategy on carbon drawdown and water, support organisational development based on living systems and help to further develop our charitable giving strategies. She is passionate about how to transform business into a force of regeneration and to leverage the power of a global brand to do good.
Ruth has a masters in Advanced Environmental and Energy Studies. She is the founder of the Blueprint Alliance, a collective of practitioners bringing regenerative design to the humanitarian sector and has also founded Sociocracy Brazil and Regenera, two networks of consultants and practitioners of next-stage organisational governance.
My love for organizations comes from the anarchist movement
Safety and trust arise from the understanding where you can contribute the most
The appeal of power is so strong!
What we need now is to find ways to fuel our courage
People, organisations and methods mentioned during the interview
- Dragon Dreaming / Dream Circles: http://www.dragondreaming.org/
- Lush: https://www.lush.com/ and more on its background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lush_(company)
- Sociocracy3.0 (also referred to as ‘S3’): www.sociocracy30.org
- Sociocracy: http://thesociocracygroup.com/
- Holacracy: www.holacracy.org
- Buckminster Fuller: https://www.bfi.org/
- Reinventing Organisations / Frederic Laloux: www.reinventingorganizations.com
- Liberating Structures: www.liberatingstructures.com
- Better Means (no longer in existence, but its essence captured on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAlnMWlvw9g
Recommended books by Ruth
- Drawdown: www.drawdown.org/the-book, on environmental change
- Surviving the Future: https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/surviving-the-future/ on a picture of the possible future ahead of us.